Starting a Business
Starting your own business can be exhilarating…and intimidating. To help you get started, we offer the following steps that every start-up business owner should consider, prior to meeting your very first client.
- Create a business plan. The Small Business Development Center at CSM is a good resource.
- Seek advice from qualified professionals. Search the Chamber's online directory for accountants, attorneys, business consultants and other experts.
- Acquire strong financial support: funding and services. Click here for Chamber members who can help.
- Insure against loss. Find a list of members here.
- Study the market. The Charles County Economic Development Department can help you access the information that you need.
- Find the right location and arrange for utilities. Consider these Chamber-member commercial real estate experts.
- Obtain licenses and permits. Click for Charles County Government and click here for the Town of La Plata and here for the Town of Indian Head. These experts can advise as to whether state licensing is required and how to learn more.
- Know about taxes and pay them on time. Click here for accountants.
- Hire and train qualified employees. A good place to start is the Tri-County Council.
- Promote your business. The Chamber can help! Click here for marketing information.
- Serve the community. Be a volunteer. Join a Chamber Committee or support one or more of our nonprofit member organizations.
- Understand the benefits of joining the Charles County Chamber of Commerce.